Social Security

What is the Social Security number?

The Social Security Number (SSN) is the American version of the Irish PPS number. All individuals must obtain a SSN so they can work legally in the USA.

How do I apply for my Social Security Number (SSN)?

To apply for a SSN you need to visit your local Social Security Office in the USA destination where you will reside for the summer. You need to complete the application form and bring the follow documents with you.

  • "Dear Social Security Officer" letter
  • DS-2019 form + SEVIS receipt
  • Passport with your J1 visa

How long does it take to get an SSN?

On average it takes applicants between 3-5 weeks to receive their Social Security number.

Can I work before I receive my SSN?

Yes, an employer can legally hire you but you must have proof that you have already applied for your SSN. If you have any problems concerning gaining a summer job due to the fact you are waiting for your Social Security Number, please contact the US Sponsor immediately.

Do second timers need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN)?

No, if you already have a SSN, you do not need to get another one. A SSN is for life.

What do I do if I have lost my SSN, do I apply for a new SSN when I travel on the J1 or can USIT give me this information?

Unfortunately, USIT cannot assist you with your SSN as we do not have access to participants SS information. You need to contact the local Social Security Office in the USA, where you are staying, with two forms of ID to get your SSN.

DO NOT apply for a new Social Security Number!

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn MoreOK